liza5326

Reading and Rambling

I am a single mom who spends all my free time reading to escape the craziness of real life.  Everything I read features hot men loving other hot men, probably due to the lack of hot men in my own life.  I recently tried my hand at the writing game.  My first short, Risking the Field, will be hitting the public this summer thanks to the Don't Read in the Closet event held every year by the M/M Romance Group on Goodreads.  I write under the name Jean McGray, an hommage to my grandfather and my high school nickname.

Shaking the Sugar Tree

Shaking the Sugar Tree  - Nick Wilgus ★★★★ There was just something about this book that drew me in and I was hooked. Wiley is the epitome of a real man to me. Yeah, he may not be the sexiest, buffest, richest guy in the world, but he made a mistake when he was younger, got a girl pregnant, and when she gave birth to a meth-addicted boy with birth defects and took off, he stepped up and took care of his son, even when given a way out. I want a man like that! So here he is, 10 years later, raising his deaf son all by himself, a gay man in the homophobic Bible Belt. He is barely surviving on minimum wage and still dealing with the bigots in his own family.

Then he meets Jackson, a Yankee nurse who accepts everything about him and his life, embracing the craziness and Noah, too. I honestly loved everything about this book. Noah, Wiley, Jackson (who had his faults), Wiley’s family (especially his grandfather – they don’t hide crazy, they put it on the porch to entertain the neighbors!)